Tuesday, May 6, 2008

2004 Mitolo Jester Shiraz

I'm a few days late on reporting this one from late last week. Mitolo's Jester has become one of my favorite lower-priced Shiraz from Australia (and note for me lower-priced doesn't mean the $5 range of Yellow Tail's "Shiraz").

Usually coming in around $14, this wine presents you with a nice array of dark fruits without usually getting to the over-extracted cough medicine taste that has inflicted many of its peers. The first night for this particular bottle did in fact show a little bit of heat that had me wondering, but on the second night everything seemed to be in harmony, producing a nice smooth flavor that still had plenty of body to it. As I said, I've had this wine several times and it's been a pretty consistent performer.

The Wine Advocate usually rates all of Mitolo's wines very well, and I look forward to the bottle of G.A.M Shiraz that is in my cellar, waiting a few more years. Until then, more of the Jester will suffice for everyday drinking.

No comments: