Saturday, July 19, 2008

2006 La Posta Cocina Blend

Something very different for me on this entry - a wine from Argentina. For some reason, I've just never gotten into the wines of South America, but this was recommended to me one day in a shop as I looked for a bottle to round of a mixed half case. The 2006 La Posta Cocina Blend contains 60% Malbec, 20% Bonarda, and 20% Syrah. The wine exhibits the deep purple color I associate with Malbec (I've had a couple before, from both Argentina and Cahors), as well as the taste of dark fruit like plums that I recall from other Malbecs. It also had just a hint of the pepperiness that the Syrah would be expected to bring.

This wine was about $15, and that seems fairly priced, as it was a decent wine, but nothing that blew me away. Is it enough to get me started in exploring more of Argentina? Probably not, but I'll at least be more open to trying other bottles that are recommended to me. If I end up going to Argentina next year as I'm thinking of doing, perhaps then the wines of this country will become more popular with me.

No comments: