Thursday, January 29, 2009

2004 Turley Old Vines Zinfandel

This was my last remaining bottle of Turley from the ones I got from my Dad before Loudoun and I started receiving an allocation. Zinfandels aren't known for ageing, and the Old Vines isn't one of Turley's top cuvees, so I was interested to see how this bottle had fared.

I am pleased to say the 2004 Turley Old Vines Zinfandel still had plenty to offer. It wasn't an over-the-top Zin that smacked you right in the face, and had instead mellowed quite a bit. On the second night, the wine hadn't lost anything and still offered immense pleasure with plenty of fruit. While I wouldn't say the wine had added too much during its ageing, I won't be afraid to let my Zins rest for a few years before drinking either, based on this bottle.

No comments: