Tuesday, December 2, 2008

2001 Bodegas San Alejandro Las Rocas Vinas Viejas

My final bottle from a rare case purchase, this was a wine that took the wine world by storn a few years ago. The 2001 Las Rocas Vinas Viejas burst onto the scene with a 93 point rating from Robert Parker and a $12 price tag. Throughout the life of the case I saw this wine go from outstanding to merely decent, back to outstanding. This final bottle fell somewhere between the decent and outstanding. It still had a good amount of fruit, though it didn't blow me a way. For the price though, it was still a winner.

Even better, this original case was one of the first wines to turn me on to the great potential and value of Spanish wines. Las Rocas (both the regular cuvee and Vinas Viejas) has become a standby everyday drinker for me, and a wine a always recommend to anyone looking for a great value in Grenache.

No comments: