Sunday, December 21, 2008

A pair of Cotes du Rhones

I had a couple of wines from the 2006 Rhona vintage recently, with somewhat differing results. First up was the Kermit Lynch Cotes du Rhone from a well-known importer who is now fashioning his own negociant cuvee. I definitely think Lynch's portfolio of wines is top-notch, and this wine got very good reviews. However, I was a bit disappointed, as to me the wine came across as a little too hot. There wasn't much complexity (not that I expect a lot from an entry-level Cotes du Rhone) and overall the wine just did not deliver as much as I was expecting.

Next up was the 2006 Cotes du Rhone Belleruche from M. Chapoutier. I have previously reviewed the 2005 vintage of this wine, and the 2006 is a winner as well. This year, the wine seems to offer a little more body (perhaps more Syrah in the blend?) and is really a winner for the price. Anyone on a budget would do well to have either Chapoutier or Guigal's Cotes du Rhone as a standy house red.

No comments: