Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Italy trip meals - the last dinner


Out final night in Verona, we went to Corsini, a wine bar/shop/restaurant. One of the great features there is that you can choose any wine off the shelf and have it with your dinner for just 5 euros extra. We were sitting outside, and Dad let me go in to look around and see what I could find. Not surprisingly, my choice was influenced by something we had tried during the day at Vinitaly.

Argiano's Solengo is a well-known Supertuscan, but I had never tasked it before trying it that day at Argiano's booth. I also did not know that the blend included not only Sangiovese, Cab, and Merlot, but also Syrah. When looking on the shelves at Corsini, I found a bottle of the 1999 Solengo, a very good but underrated vintage, and though that would be a fine choice.

It turns out that this was a great choice. We both ended up getting Osso Buco as out main course, and by that time the wine was really firing on all cylinders. The Syrah adds a dimension that you don't find in many Supertuscans, and as I am a huge fan of Syrah it really takes this wine to another level in my opinion. It was also great to have yet another wine with a few years of age on it - this wine still took some time to open up fully, but it was much more well-rounded that a newer vintage would have been. I'd definitely like to add some Solengo to my cellar now, but it's doubtful I'll be able to find a bottle of any recent vintage here for close to the price we paid at Corsini.

No comments: