Saturday, April 18, 2009

A pair of 2004 Zinfandels

Breaking from Italy quickly, I want to cover two Zinfandels I've had recently, one right before the trip, one right after. A few days before departing I decided to have something I wouldn't get on the trip, so I barbecued some pork chops and popped open a 2004 Turley Ueberroth Zinfandel. This was my first taste of a Uebberoth and at least for this vintage I would put it in the category of more refined, less overpowering Turleys. Not to say I did not like it - the wine was quite enjoyable, just not quite the full-throttle experience many of their wines deliver.

A few days after getting back I ended up having barbecued chicken (partly because I forgot the grocery store would be closed on Easter Sunday and I didn't have anything else on hand at home). Instead of another Turley, I opted for the 2004 Ridge Caboose Zinfandel. This was one of the wines we got while on the Ridge mailing list, and all I can say is "Wow!" What struck me about this wine is that when I closed my eyes and tasted this, I thought I was back in the Veneto drinking an Amarone. This wine had the raisiny characteristics, the dark cherry flavors, and just a hint of the sweetness that reminded me of the bigger Amarones we had (I'd compare it most to those from Tommaso Bussola). The wine was actually even better on the second night - where the first night it was certainly showing off a bit, on the second night this wine was deep and full-bodied. I loved it, and really wish I had more. What a great wine from Ridge.

No comments: