Monday, October 12, 2009

Two Spanish regulars

I've recently had two of my regulars from Spain, but while one was up to its usual standards, the other was a bit of a disappointment. First up was the 2007 Borsao Campo de Borja. As I've said on so many occasions, this is my favorite wine value anywhere, as it still sells for about $7 a bottle. A blend of 80% Tempranillo and 20% Garnacha, it gives off a great deal of primary fruit with just a hint of earthiness. I always enjoy it, and highly recommend it.

The next wine was the 2005 Volver La Mancha. Previous bottles of this have been enjoyable, though stylistically they are more in the modern, fruit-forward vein. I've usually found enough balance that the wine remains enjoyable, but with this bottle that wasn't the case. I thought the wine ended up a bit too over-the-top, with too much oak and not enough acidity to balance the wine out properly. I'm not sure if this was just an off bottle, or if there is a deeper issue, but overall I did not enjoy this wine as I had in the past. I may still get another bottle soon to see what is going on with this wine, though it may be one of the newer vintages now available.

No comments: