Wednesday, September 17, 2008

2006 Domaine de la Mordoree Lirac La Dame Rousse

Now known as one of the top producers of Chateauneuf du Pape, Domaine de la Mordoree is in my opinion the top producer of Lirac, the appellation just across the Rhone from Chateauneuf. Mordoree's Cuvee Reine des Bois Lirac has become such a high achiever that it now sells for a price similar to many Chateauneufs, but the winery also makes a lower-end Lirac as well.

The 2006 Domaine de la Mordoree Lirac is absolutely wonderful. It is silky and seductive right from the start, with plenty of dark fruit flavors that don't overwhelm you, but just make you want to savor it. The wine is a 50-50 blend of Grenache and Syrah with each complementing the other perfectly. I'm not sure how this cuvee will age, but it is wonderful now. It was priced around $18, about half of what most places now sell the Reine des Bois for. I've had other vintages of both cuvees and know that the Reine des Bois is a step up, so I look forward to tasting the 2006 vintage of that as well (I have some already, now in the cellar along with the 2000, 2003, 2004, and 2005 vintages). Once again, Domaine de la Mordoree is a winery I recommend to anyone, for anything from their Cotes du Rhone all the way to their Chateauneufs, but especially for Lirac, where they are really the best in my book.

No comments: