Tuesday, October 7, 2008

1999 Chateau de St. Cosme Gigondas

I went back to the cellar over the weekend for another Rhone Valley wine, this time an older Gigondas from one of the top producers of the appellation. I have several bottles from various vintages and as this was the oldest I felt it was time to give it a try. The 1999 St Cosme Gigondas still has some life left in it, with much of the rustic earthiness that is a trait of the appellation. I enjoyed this wine over two nights and found that it still had plenty going for it even the second night. It's not an overwhelming wine, but a very good example of how the wines of Gigondas can age gracefully, but without losing their soul.

The prices for these wines have unfortunately increased over the past few years, but I still recommend St. Cosme Gigondas for a value from the Southern Rhone. The base cuvee is much less than most Chateauneufs now, and at $25-$30 will deliver great pleasure over several years.

No comments: