Sunday, October 5, 2008

2000 Domaine Mercouri Red

Over the past week or two, I've begun going to my cellar for wines, figuring there are plenty of choices there that probably are peaking (and hopefully not past). One of the first I noticed was a Greek wine, the 2000 Domaine Mercouri, and truthfully I was afraid it may be over the hill. I was pleasantly surprised though to find that this wine still had plenty to offer. There was still ample fruit that made this a nice red ideal for drinking with dinner.

I first had this wine one summer in Greece, and have found it to be one of the better wines coming out of Greece. This wine is mainly Refosco, with some Mavrodaphne blended in, and offers a great look at what is possible from Greece with commitment to make top quality wines. I highly recommend this producer if you are looking to sample the wines from this region.

No comments: