Sunday, October 5, 2008

2001 Domaine Bois de Boursan Chateauneuf du Pape

My Dad had just mentioned that he was able to get some bottles of Bois de Boursan's high-end Cuvee Felix for a great price, so when I went looking for a Chateauneuf to drink last week, I decided to see how the winery's regular cuvee was holding up. 2001 was a very good vintage in Chateauneuf du Pape, and the wines should now be coming out of their dormancy and entering into their prime drinking window.

The first night, the 2001 Bois de Boursan started a bit slowly, but opened up to reveal some great Grenache characteristics with cherry flavors leading the way. On the second night though, the wine had really reched another level, offering not only the cherry, but a more complex mix of flavors and a longer finish. I was quite pleased with the wine and look forward to seeing how the Cuvee Felix is evolving, but I will certainly give it a few years (I have a bottle of the 2001 as well as 2003 and the 2004 my Dad has procured). For folks looking for a good Chateauneuf to try without breaking the bank, I'd recommend this base-level wine from Bois de Boursan, which should be available most anywhere for $30-$40, a very reasonable price for Chateauneuf du Pape in today's market.

No comments: