Thursday, March 5, 2009

2005 Domaine de la Janasse Cotes du Rhone-Villages Terre d'Argile

Don't be intimidated by the very long name of this wine, as it is really something special. I've actually written about this wine before, and once again have consistent notes to report.

The 2005 Domaine de la Janasse Terre d'Argile Cotes du Rhone-Villages is a blend of the three main grapes of the Rhone - Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvedre, in fairly equal proportions. Once again, as I drank it I noted that you really can taste each of these varietals when you drink the wine. There are the cherry flavors and earthiness of the Grenache initially, then the darker fruit from the Syrah, and all thoughout there's the brooding structure from the Mourvedre. This is really one of my favorite wines right now, and though it's a bit pricier than a lot of Cotes du Rhone-Villages (about $24), this wine is worth it. I can't wait to see what the 2006 and 2007 vintages are like, though I'm also looking forward to seeing how this vintage ages over the next several years.

No comments: