Sunday, March 22, 2009

A contrasting pair from Greece

I've actually had two bottles of Greek wine recently, and they offered a great example of the variety being produced there now, and also some of the potential the country has. First up was the 2006 Skouras St. George (Agioritiko). Made from one of Greece's indigenous varietals, this is a wine I love to share with people who are unfamiliar with Greek wines. Skouras is pretty widely available, and this base cuvee of theirs is affordable but quite tasty too. I've mentioned their higher-end Megas Oenos before, and this entry-level wine is also impressive. For anyone looking to expand your horizons (or needing something when you visit a Greek restaurant) I definitely recommend this wine.

Next up was the 2000 Domaine Hadzimichali Merlot. As opposed to the traditional wine above, here I was trying an international varietal. I've actually had this wine in my cellar for a while, and was a bit worried about whether or not it would still be good, since I had no notes or recommended window for it. I was pleased that the wine was not over the hill. The fruit was a bit muted, and certainly suggested it was probably starting on the downside, but it wasn't bad. In fact, I thought that it had a nice aged character to it that was actually impressive for a country that is not known for Merlot (and doesn't really have any track record in the US for producing ageworthy wines). I've had other wines form this producer while in Greece, so I know they are doing some very good things - if you happen to find any of their wines, I'd definitely recommend them.

No comments: