Sunday, February 14, 2010

Rhone cellar selections

I've been a bit slow with updates, but have several lined up over the coming days. To begin, I've recently had a couple of Rhone Valley wines from my cellar. Up first was the 2001 Chateau St. Cosme Gigondas, one of several wines from this producer that I have. I knew when I pulled this bottle out that it may be a little long on the tooth, and I was right. The wine wasn't shot, but it was definitely fading. On the first night, it was still good, though obviously not at its peak. By the second night, it had unfortunately lost more fruit, with the aged soy characteristics taking over.

Up next was the 2004 Chante Cigale Chateauneuf du Pape, the latest bottle from the case of this I purchased a couple of years ago. Every so often, I like to check in on this wine, and it is still not at its peak. The wine is very nice, with lots of traditional southern Rhone characteristics, and for the price I paid (about $19/bottle) a really nice wine. I think another year or two will put this wine at its peak, so I intend to wait a while longer before opening the next bottle.

No comments: