Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ridge - a favorite from California

While I certainly love Turley, my favorite California winery may actually be Ridge, which continues to make great wines at fair prices, and using a variety of grapes. I've recently opened two of the wines I got while Loudoun and I were on their direct shipping list. Up first was the 2005 Dusi Ranch Zinfandel. This is a full, rounded Zinfandel, but it isn't overpowering. Instead, it's got a bit more finesse and subtlety, but without sacrificing any of the great fruit. It's definitely a high-quality Zinfandel.

Up next was the 2002 Lytton Estate Syrah, the first predominately Syrah I've had from Ridge. It was an excellent wine, really showing off how California can do a great job with this grape, but not overdo it. This wine isn't an overly New World-styled wine, but more refined like a Rhone Valley wine. It probably helped that it had some age on it, but this wine was really in a great spot. I definitely enjoyed both of these selections, and they reminded me that I might want to start getting more wines from Ridge again soon.

No comments: