Thursday, February 25, 2010

2007 Cotes du Rhone and Southern Rhone

Not surprisingly, I've been drinking quite a bit of wine from the 2007 vintage in Southern France. I feel like the lower-end bottlings are finally coming into their own, and not just those from the Rhone, but also other areas.

Up first was a wine from the Languedoc, the 2007 Mourgues du Gres Costieres de Nimes les Galets Rouge. I picked this wine up in Charlotte, as the 07 vintage has not arrived here in Atlanta yet apparently. It's a predominately Syrah blend, and is really quite outstanding, especially for the price (around $15 I think).

Next was the latest vintage of one of my perennial favorites, the 2007 Chateau Pesquie Les Terrasses. I've noted this wine before, and it's definitely a fantastic value. The latest bottle was just as good as the last, maybe even a bit better as the wine has really settled into a sweet spot.

I then moved into the Rhone for two more wines from this amazing vintage. First was another favored producer, Domaine Les Aphillanthes. The 2007 les Aphillanthes Cotes du Rhone still has a bit of acidity, but is settling into what should be a really great value. Another few months should see the wine hit its stride, but it is already quite good. I've really enjoyed the 2006 Cotes du Rhones-Villages from this producer, and this wine has the potential to be even better.

Finally, I had the 2007 Mas de Boislauzon Cotes du Rhones-Villages. This was actually the first wine I think I've had from this winery, but they apparently hit a home run in 2007. Their top Chateauneuf du Pape cuvee got 100 points from Parker, and while this wine isn't nearly at that level, it is still really good. Like I've mentioned with the others, this wine is just really coming into its own, and will probably be at its best over the next year or two.

Overall, there is just so much fantastic quality and value coming from the 2007 vintage in southern France. I keep buying so many of these wines, and after several months they are finally settling down and becoming the great wines everyone has said they would be. Over the next several months, I anticipate many more notes on this fantastic vintage.

No comments: