Thursday, April 8, 2010

Older Northern Rhones and younger Southern Rhones

Once again, I've neglected the blog for a while, so there is a lot to catch up on. I'll begin with a selection of Rhone Valley wines I've had over the last several weeks.

First up are two wines from the north. The 2000 Guigal Cote Rotie Brune et Blonde was solid, but not spectacular. This is Guigal's entry-level Cote Rotie, made from purchased fruit. It can be really good (a 1998 I had last year was quite nice, but the 2000 vintage isn't quite as good. I did enjoy this wine, but as the price continues to rise on it, it's not the great value in Cote Rotie it once was.

The next Syrah-based wine was the 2001 Patrick Lesec Cornas Le Vignon. I had Lesec's other 2001 Cornas last summer, and as expected this one performed a little better. The Le Vignon was probably not going to get any better, as this seemed a good time to be drinking it. Still not a blockbuster, it was an enjoyable wine, and probably more on the modern style of Cornas.

Moving south, I've had more from the 2007 vintage. First was the 2007 Domaine Duseigneur Antares Lirac. This was not a producer I was familiar with, but the wine had a good review and a good price. I thought the wine had a pretty nice balance for an 07, but it didn't blow me away. There wasn't quite the fruit and complexity of some of my favorite Liracs (Mordoree, Jaume), but it wasn't bad either. I may try another bottle at some point, especially if the price remains low.

Finally, I had a bottle of the 2007 Perrin et Fils Vinsobres Les Cornuds. I'd had the 2006 vintage of this wine and came away slightly underwhelmed, but the 07 is a different story. This wine was really singing, a great 2007 Rhone. As I've been noting, it seems the 07's are just now starting to hit their stride, and this was no exception. The acidity has calmed a bit, and the wine seems in fine balance. It is one of many great values now available in 2007 Southern Rhones.

No comments: