Sunday, April 11, 2010

A pair from Spain

I seem to be drinking less Spanish wine lately, at times having to remind myself to open one for more variety. One that I've had a couple of times is the 2007 Atteca Old Vines. It's been a favorite value selection of mine for a while, and while it is one of those more New World-styled Spanish wines, I still enjoy it. It is a 100% Grenache from Calatayud, and pretty full throttle, not unlike 2007 Rhones.

The other wine I had was the 2004 Finca Allende Rioja. I already had a bottle of this in the cellar, but a local store got more in, and after tasting an open bottle there, I decided to pick up more and try it. I've had the 2001 vintage of the wine as well, and thoroughly enjoyed it. This bottle was good, but not outstanding. I think it actually will do better with a little more time, so I intend to hold off a while before opening another bottle.

No comments: