Saturday, June 27, 2009

A pair from Spain

It seems Spain has almost been a forgotten country for me lately between all of the 2007 Rhones I am sampling along with all of the Italians I continue to be trying out. However, these two wines served as a great reminder of the high quality wine being produced in Spain and available at affordable prices. First up was the 2007 Las Colinas del Ebro, a blend of 60% Syrah and 40% Garnacha from the Terra Alta region. I found this wine to be superior to several of the 2007 Cotes du Rhones I have recently sampled, more elegant and refined as opposed to the somewhat in your face style I've been experiencing from similar Rhone blends.

Up next was the 2007 Atteca Old Vines. This 100% Garnacha from Calatayud was just as good as it was when I tried it previously, if not better. Full of spice and cherry fruit, it was even better on the second night. I enjoyed this bottle so much, I immediately wanted more, but today's shopping was a disappointment, as there was none to be found. I am hopeful it is still available somewhere in Atlanta, because this is a great wine for the price and seems it should have a few years of aging potential.

Overall, these two wines were a great reminder of what Spain has on offer. There continues to be so many great values out from there, and in many different styles.

No comments: