Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Catching up - France

For those of you who are reading and checking this blog, my apologies for neglecting it the past few weeks. I've had plenty of good wine to drink, so I'm now going to do my best to start catching up. Instead of my single entries for each wine, I'll consolidate a bit. First up, a few French wines.

From the cellar, I pulled out the 2000 Tardieu-Laurent Rasteau Vieilles Vignes. Tardieu-Laurent's wines are know as being somewhat oaky and tannic, so giving this a few years seemed a wise move. I think it certainly was, as this wine was very balanced and delivered great flavors of a more traditional Southern Rhone wine. I was quite happy with it.

Next up was one of my favorite house wines - the 2003 Guigal Cotes du Rhone. This vintage was exceptional, and I've been drinking it over the past two years I think. It still holds plenty of great flavor with a higher Syrah component that gives it a darker color and more body. In any vintage this wine is good, and I've finally got some 2004 to try soon.

Finally, there was the 2006 Domaine La Garrigue Cotes du Rhone. This wine is a better example of the Southern Rhone compared to the Guigal that embodies the best of both North and South in my opinion. The winery is located in Vacqueyras, and the Cotes du Rhone is similar to what I expect from that appellation - a bit rustic, but overall pleasing. It is similar in price to the Guigal, and both are great everyday-type wines that show the breadth of possibilities from this region.

No comments: