Monday, April 27, 2009

2007 Bodegas Atteca Calatayud

I've found myself somewhat in a France/Italy rut lately, but finally broke that momentarily for a new Spanish wine. The 2007 Bodegas Atteca Calatayud is an old vine Garnacha, and had received a pretty good review in the Wine Advocate. I was not disappointed either, as there was plenty of spice and cherry fruit on this, similar to a good southern Rhone wine.

On the second night, the wine had actually improved - it had mellowed just a bit so it wasn't in your face but instead had a bit more length. I ended up tasting this wine again a couple of nights later when in Pensacola as it was part of a tasting lineup of Spanish wines from importer Jorge Ordonez at the local wine shop (Aloha Wines on Bayou Blvd). As I said, this was a new winery for me from the ever-increasing selection of value-priced Spanish wines, and one I certainly intend to drink again. It's definitely a great wine for the price (around $15).

No comments: