Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Three more Italians

Yes, I seem to be drinking quite a lot of Italian wine lately, and these three all offered some great quality. Up first was the 2007 Sandrone Dolcetto d'Alba, the latest vintage of a wine that has been fantastic the prior two years. I am pleased to report that the 2007 manages to stand up quite favorably to the 2006, and is a very pleasant fruity wine. It is again a great food wine, able to match up well with a variety of foods.

Up next was the 2004 Secco Bertani Valpolicella Ripasso. This was also a repeat wine, and was consistent with my prior tasting back in December. It is a very nice Ripasso that offers plenty of drinking pleasure at a great price (a good bit less than Zenato or Allegrini's similar quality offerings).

Finally, I had another bottle of the 2004 Angelini Val di Suga Rosso di Montalcino. I've had this wine multiple times, and I think this may have been its best performance yet. The wine seems to just now be entering it peak window, and over two nights was really showing all it had. There was a lot of cherry and other red fruit, and the wine just seemed in perfect balance. I think this wine still has a couple of years of life, but it certainly seems that the great 2004 vintage is now beginning to show its full potential in the Rosso di Montalcinos.

No comments: