Thursday, January 15, 2009

2007 Domaine St Damien Cotes du Rhone

I actually missed out on trying the 2007 St. Damien Cotes du Rhone over the holidays with the family because I had come down with a cold and did not drink any wine for a few days. Dad loved it, and since I had a bottle at home already I was anxious to try it. Plenty of other folks have been raving about it as a top-notch Cotes du Rhone from an incredible vintage, but I must say I was a little disappointed.

To me, this wine came off a little hot. It seemed to have a little too much alcohol on it, and not much complexity to it. I hoped that on the second night the wine would be a bit more in balance, but it still wasn't quite there. Perhaps it needs more time, or perhaps it was an off bottle, but on the whole I thought this was a very average Cotes du Rhone, and not one I would necessarily search out again. I may give it another try in a few months though, to see if it does show any better since I've heard so many good things about it.

No comments: