Friday, January 30, 2009

A couple of Italian standbys

I've had 2 Italian favorites recently, one from a new vintage, another from and older one. First up was the 2006 Argiolas Costera. I've had this wine in prior vintages, and it's usually a favorite, but this wine did not live up to its predecessors upon opening. I found it a bit hot, and almost seeming a little green. It wasn't undrinkable, but it wasn't all that great either, especially considering the track record of prior vintages. On the second night, the wine showed a lot of improvement though. It had softened a bit and didn't seem so disjointed. Perhaps it still needs a little time to settle down, so I will give it another chance in a few months.

The other Italian was another bottle of the 2004 Angelini Val di Suga Rosso di Montalcino. I've had this wine previously, and the most recent tasting reaffirmed the original notes. The wine is very good, but still young, though for the price of $19.99 I've been purchasing it I'll keep drinking. As we are now within two months of Vinitaly 2009, I look forward to tasting all the new releases from Angelini very soon.

No comments: