Wednesday, September 30, 2009

2005 Turley Mead Ranch Atlas Peak Zinfandel (and a bonus)

Right before my trip, I figured it was a good time to have some barbecued chicken and thus open a Turley, as these wouldn't be tastes I would get while in Greece. When I went to the cellar, I decided to go for one I hadn't had before, and also one with a bit of age. The choice was the 2005 Mead Ranch Atlas Peak Zinfandel, and it was quite tasty. The wine reminded me a bit of a ripe Chateauneuf du Pape, with plenty of dark fruit and a bit of spice. With a bit of age, the wine also wasn't overpowering, but wasn't really light either. The 2005s didn't get the best reviews, but I found this to be a pleasing wine from Turley.

As an additional note, when I went home to Pensacola after returning from Greece, we opened a bottle of the 2003 Turley Ueberroth Zin, which was also quite tasty. Parker's review had indicated the wine was quite austere in its youth and may not develop, but it seems the age has helped the wine. I thought the wine was big and robust, drinking quite well.

No comments: