Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Back from vacation, a trio from Southern France

It has been quite a while since my last entry, thanks to a vacation in Greece and another weekend away to start football season. I'm catching up first with some wines from before and after the trip, all from Southern France.

Up first is the 2006 Pegovino Vin de Pays d'Oc. I've mentioned this wine before, and once again it delivered as one of the great bargains available on the market. As sub-$10 wine will rarely offer up this much flavor and balance, especially for anyone who is a fan of Southern Rhone wines.

Up next was a split of the 2004 Grand Veneur Chateauneuf du Pape. My last night before vacation I had no wine open, so it was a great night to open one of these small bottles I keep. This wine was still quite young, but still very good. A blend of 70% Grenache, 20% Syrah, and 10% Mourvedre, it offered great quality for the price (inexpensive for Chateauneuf). Grand Veneur makes great Cotes du Rhones as I've noted before, and this shows that their Chateauneufs are quite nice as well.

Finally, I had the 2007 Clos Chanteduc Cotes du Rhone, my latest purchase from this stellar vintage. This wine seems to be coming around nicely, with some nice fruit and spice to it. I think the 2007's as a whole needed a little time to settle down, and this wine is now rounding into form.

Overall, these were three very enjoyable wines that anyone who likes Grenache-based wines like I do will enjoy, especially for the great prices they all can be found for at most shops.

No comments: