Thursday, May 15, 2008

2004 Cesari Mara Ripasso

I've had wines from Cesari before, and while they've always made solid wines, none have ever really stood out to me as a star of the Veneto region. And at VinItaly, we never made it to their booth, or really talked about them much. This wine changed all that.

The 2004 Mara wowed me from the first sip. It was as good of a Ripasso as I've had in quite a while, full of dark fruit flavors with just a hint of sweetness. I drank this over 3 nights, and each night it was just as good, offering up an abundance of flavors and more complexity than one would expect. The last night I was even hit with a hint of chocolate.

I went back and checked to find where I got this, and how much I paid: $15. At that price, this is a wine I would highly recommend to anyone. I know I will certainly head out this weekend to buy a couple more bottles.

No comments: