Thursday, May 1, 2008

2005 Argiolas Costera

Argiolas is a winery we definitely missed out on at Vinitaly (once, again, just not enough time). The winery is located on the island of Sardegna, not really famous for wine, but they do a really good job. I've had both of their value-priced reds, Costera and Perdera, in the past, but this was my first taste of one from the 2005 vintage.

The 2005 Costera may be the best I've tasted from Argiolas (though I've still not tasted their high-end Turriga or Korem). It really carried a lot of fruit (mainly cherry), but without being overdone. It's made from mainly the indigenous Cannonau grape, a relative of Grenache, and certainly exhibits many of the same characteristics. I'd put it up with any top Grenache-based Cotes du Rhone. For about $14, it hits a good spot price-wise as well, and based on this bottle, I'll definitely be buying more of the 2005 vintage.

No comments: