Monday, June 29, 2009

My birthday dinner - a special treat

The break in posts recently was due to my vacation, during which I celebrated my birthday. I got to spend a week visiting with many friends and capped with a weekend in Chicago. For dinner that night, six of us descended upon the Chicago Chop House for a feast.

Of course, I certainly wanted a nice wine to celebrate as well, and initially was a bit worried as I looked over the list - not that there weren't some great choices, but most of the prices were astronomical. Suddenly, I came across an amazing selection that was actually underpriced, though still quite expensive compared to what I usually spend. Regardless, I decided it was my birthday and too good an opportunity to pass up - a 1994 Giuseppe Quintarelli Alzero.



I've heard about this wine, and seen a couple of bottles for sale in Italy, where my Dad and I would kid about buying a bottle for 300+ euros. So when this bottle was listed at $250 at the Chop House, I caved. I am pleased to report it was well worth it. This was one of the most amazing wines I've ever tasted. Made of Cabernet Franc, but dried like Amarone, it is so different than anything else, and truly amazing. The fruits were bursting forth from the first sip, and continued through for a lengthy finish.

The wine was sweeter than most Amarones, but not quite at the level of a Recioto. It was also a well-aged wine, with the tannins having softened but still providing structure. I savored the wine as much as I could through dinner, a wonderful 16 oz filet. But no doubt, the wine was the star. I'd rank it right alongside the 1995 Chapoutier Le Pavillon Ermitage as the greatest wine I've ever tasted, but this time I got to drink a few glasses and enjoy it with a great meal and great friends.

This is an experience I won't ever forget and was a great way to cap a great trip. I know the price is high, and the wine is quite rare, but if anyone should ever have a chance, Quintarelli Alzero is a truly special wine that belongs in the Pantheon of world classics. It is absolutely amazing.

No comments: