Sunday, June 7, 2009

A red and a white from Spain

I'm still drinking a lot from Spain, which I think has so many great values. A few weeks ago with grilled shrimp, I went for a white wine and had the 2007 Burgans Rias Baixas Albarino. This is a very good white wine that is a great match with shellfish, simple with some light floral notes. It's also a great value, and a different type of white that I prefer over a standard Chardonnay.

Last week I tried a new red wine, the 2004 Finco Sobreno Toro. This was a new producer for me, from a region where I've had a few really good wines. On the first night, this wine did not have much to offer, and I was a bit underwhelmed. On the second night though, it started to show more dark fruit. Overall, it still seemed like maybe a little bottle time would help this out. It's certainly a different style than something like the Termes that I've enjoyed, and I may get more to see if it can age for a few years and improve more.

No comments: