Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Italian stampede continues

I guess I really have been drinking a lot of Italians lately because I have two more to report on now. The first was the 2007 Conterno-Fantino Barbera d'Alba - a repeat that was opened initially when Mom and Dad were her last week after we finished off the Quintarelli. I was anxious to see what Dad would say, and he quickly agreed that this was quite a nice wine, with plenty of fresh fruit to offer immediately along with a bit of structure to it that carries it up a notch. I was again impressed with this wine, and it was just as good on the second night.

The second Italian of the week was the 2004 Viticcio Chianti Classico Riserva. I've had Viticcio's Riserva in prior vintages (and still have a 2001 in the cellar) and found it to be a very good wine for the price. The 2004 is of course from a great vintage in Chianti, and this wine shows its pedigree. It is still quite fresh, with nice fruit and a good overall balance. I thought it was even better on the second night, suggesting a bit of aging is still a good idea. This is definitely a great wine for the price - most top Chianti Riservas will sell for a good bit more than the $20-$25 this wine is available for.

No comments: