Monday, July 6, 2009

Two more from Italy

My consumption of Italian wines continues at high level these days, though again I have two wines from very different regions to note. Both of these wines are perennial favorites and the latest releases. Up first was the 2005 Allegrini Palazzo della Torre. This was my second bottle of this vintage, and again a good experience. I think 2005 may be one of the better vintages of the past several years, though the overall consistency of this wine from year to year amazes me. It's such a friendly, straightforward wine that goes well with so many foods, and that makes it appealing to drink quite often. I've already got more bottles waiting.

Up next was the 2007 Tua Rita Rosso dei Notri. I've previously had the 2005 vintage of this wine, but this was my first bottle from 2007. It is another strong effort from this great producer, and a wonderful introduction to their wines. As with the Allegrini, it is also a great food wine, with the ripe fruit and hint of spice doing just enough without being overpowering. It can match up well with several things, and this time it was with roast chicken and vegetables.

Overall, these two wines, both at around $20, offer immense pleasure and great options for a nice bottle of wine with a good dinner. I enjoy them both and anticipate more tastings of them over the coming months.

No comments: