Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Dinner with Mom and Dad

My parents stayed with me Saturday night on their way home from Greece. We were having steaks for dinner, and though I'd usually go for something from the Rhone or Australia, Dad wanted something Italian. Not having much time to let something open up (long story), I gave him a few options and he went with the 2002 Giuseppe Quintarelli Primofiore.

I'd had a bottle of the 2001 Primofiore last fall, and found that it took some time to really come around, but the 2002 did not have such issues. It was certainly a little tight at first, but over the course of an hour or so, opened up nicely. It wasn't a full-force style that an Amarone can be, but had a certain understated elegance to it. The wine had great balance to it, and really ended up being a very nice bottle. With my most recent Quintarelli being the 94 Alzero, this was much different and not on that level, but still quite enjoyable.

I definitely think the Primofiore, as a wine that is pretty easily available here, is a nice wine to pick up in most vintages - not a blockbuster like his greatest wines, but still an interesting and enjoyable product from an iconic producer.

No comments: