Monday, August 17, 2009

2006 Uccelliera Rosso di Montalcino

Last week, I finally had a chance to try out a wine from an estate that is getting a lot of attention lately. The 2006 Uccelliera Rosso di Montalcino is a very good wine from the latest great vintage in Toscana. Uccelliera's 2004 Brunello has been getting plenty of hype, though sadly we did not taste it at Vinitaly. In fact, this was the first bottle I'd ever had from this producer.

I must say I was impressed with this wine. it doesn't quite reach the level of the 2006 Il Poggione Rosso, but it is still a top-notch Rosso di Montalcino, offering some cherry and darker fruits and a hint of minerality. It also has a bit of complexity that sets the best Rossos apart in my opinion. I'd definitely like to try more of this, even tough it is a bit more expensive than I prefer to pay for my Rossos at about $28.

No comments: