Sunday, August 16, 2009

2007 Bodegas Atalaya Almansa

Once again, I decided to try out a new Spanish wine from importer Jorge Ordonez, the 2007 Bodegas Atalaya Almansa. I wasn't at all familiar with either the producer or region, but with 91 points from the Wine Advocate and a price around $15, I decided to give it a try. This wine is typical of many of the new-styled Spanish wines imported by Ordonez, fruit-forward with a generous amount of oak. However, in this case I thought there was decent balance and just a bit of body to hold this wine together, and the oak wasn't overpowering like I've found it to be in other wines.

I enjoyed this wine over a couple of nights, and while I'm not sure I'd give it 91 points, it wasn't bad. If you like this style of wine, it will be quite enjoyable. It's another nice value from Spain, and I may be willing to try it again.

No comments: