Friday, August 14, 2009

"Mondo" tasting at Bin 75

Last week's tasting a Bin 75 was kicked up a notch as Trevor, one of the employees there, was leaving. In his honor, the usual $40 minimum bottle price was upped to $60. I was excited for what promised to be a great night, and spent much of the week deciding what to take.

The tasting began with a Bordeaux, which I and everyone else guessed. A few were able to narrow down the vintage and appellation very close, which I could not. The wine was the 2000 Chateau Dauzac Margaux. The next wine was a Bordeaux also, but this time stumped most everyone, with most of guessing Italian (though I did not). It was actually the 1998 Chateau Latour, and was a disappointing showing for a first-growth, even from a vintage that's not the strongest.

Our third wine was from Burgundy, and the color and taste easily identified it as such. Keith even had the vintage, but missed on the appellation. The wine was the 2002 Louis Latour Gevrey-Chambertin Lavaut St-Jacques. Our next wine switched dramatically, and no one could really nail it down. Most everyone agreed it was very New World-styled, but guesses were mainly on South America or California (I guessed Spain). It ended up being the 2004 Penley Estate Cabernet Sauvignon from Coonawarra.

We then made a quick detour into whites, with a 2005 Smarago Gruner Veltliner and a 2006 Staglin Chardonnay. I wasn't sure what either wine was, but the Gruner was more my style of white.

Back to the reds, we ended up in Australia again with the 2005 D'Arenberg Galvo Garage, a blend with mainly Cab. I originally thought it was an Aussie, but switched my guess to California Cab blend.

Finally, we came to my wine. The wine itself was awesome, just so different than anything else we had and so unique. A couple of folks did end up figuring out that it may be a Veneto wine, but everyone was surprised by the age. The wine was a 1996 Quintarelli Valpolicella, and it was as fresh as the 1999 we had in April in Italy. Our next wine was an Italian as well - I guessed Supertuscan, but it was actually the 1997 Banfi Poggio alla Mura Brunello. It was a nice wine, but I'd be shocked if it was actually 100% Sangiovese.

After the short Italian interlude, it was back to Cabs with the 2005 Barnett Vineyards Cabernet Sauvingon. I was on California, but not sure it was a straight Cab (though Keith was). From there, it was back to Bordeaux with the 2001 Langoa Barton St. Julien. Again, I could ID that it was a Bordeaux, but not the appellation. Keith was once again able to get that extra detail, nailing that it was a St. Julien. We then went back to California Cab again with the 2003 Duckhorn Napa Cab. This time most everyone was on California Cab from the start.

We next came to Keith's wine, so he wasn't in the guessing game. Initially the wine was quite sweet and had me baffled. But as it settled a bit and I examined the color closely, I realized it had to be a Nebbiolo. It had a slight bit of age, so I guessed that it was a 99 Barolo - close, but it was the 2001 Elio Altare Brunate Barolo.

The next two wines stumped most everyone again. First was the 2001 Le Croix St. Georges Pomerol, which no one identified even as Bordeaux, and I had no idea. Following that was the 2001 Argiano Brunello - several folks guessed it was a Nebbiolo, and though I disagreed I could not guess what it might be. I did like the wine, but again was disappointed that it did not seem to be a typical Sangiovese Grosso. We then finished our reds with one more Tuscan, the 1999 Guado al Tasso Bolgheri. I thought it may be a Bordeaux from 1999 or so, but it did stump most people as it had a lot of age. The tasting then concluded with a couple of Sherries.

Overall, I was a bit disappointed in what I thought would be an outstanding tasting, mainly due to the selections. This night confirmed my palate's preferences, as most of the California Cabs weren't to my liking, and even the Bordeaux wines were just ok. The Quintarelli really did stand out to me, and was just so much more pure and elegant in my opinion. I enjoyed the Brunellos, but again they lacked the true typicity that I want in those wines. Overall, it was still a fun evening, and another great chance to taste a variety of wines and talk about them with fellow wine lovers.

No comments: