Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Two Italians from a decent 2005 vintage

Across much of Italy, it seems that 2004 and 2006 are quite impressive vintages, but 2005 offers up some superb wines as well. I've had a couple of wines from two very different regions recently, and both were quite nice. Up first was the 2005 Fattoria Le Pupille Morrelino di Scansano, which I have had once before. This is a nice, easy drinking food-friendly wine that I quite enjoy. It was consistent with the prior notes I had from a few months ago, with a hint of spice to help round out the profile.

Up next was one of my consistent favorites from year to year, the 2005 Zenato Ripassa. Amazingly, it had been about a year since I last had a bottle of this vintage, and it was just as good, though not necessarily improved. I thought some time would really allow this wine to blossom even more, but I'm not sure it's really evolved much. I'm not complaining though, as it's a very good wine, and with the 2006 getting a lot of hype, the 2005 is getting marked down on local shelves back to the $20 price range. It's definitely a good buy at that price, and still a favorite of mine.

No comments: