Tuesday, August 19, 2008

2001 Le Calice de St Pierre Chateauneuf du Pape

Last weekend I decided to pull out one of my many mid-range Chateauneuf du Papes for my weekend steak dinner. I bought the 2001 Le Calice de St Pierre originally in Pensacola after having a bottle with my parents and enjoying it. This one had been stored in my passive cellar for several years and upon initial tasting seemed to have aged quite a bit. The fruit was lacking a bit but colorwise, the wine wasn't faded.

I drank this wine over two nights, and actually the second night it did seem a bit better. Still not great, so I'm not sure if the wine was in an awkward phase of some sort, if it was just an off bottle, or if it had aged quite rapidly. It wasn't undrinkable, but was still overall a bit of a disappointment.

No comments: