Tuesday, August 26, 2008

2006 Domaine Pierre Usseglio et Fils Cotes du Rhone

Domaine Pierre Usseglio has become one of the finest producers of Chateauneuf du Pape over the past several years with their top end Mon Aueil and Deux Freres cuvees among the highest scoring and most expensive wines of the appellation. Thus, when I found their 2006 Cotes du Rhone in a local store, I was eager to try it.

The wine is not cheap for a Cotes du Rhone, coming in closer to Beaucastel's Coudoulet than others like Guigal. But it certainly brings a lot of quality - not quite to the level of mistaking it for a Chateauneuf du Pape, though certainly a bit more complex than most Cotes du Rhones. I certainly enjoyed the wine, but I'm not sure I'd highly recommend it due to the much higher price than many other very good Cotes du Rhones (this wine was about $23 compared to about $12 for many very good wines from the region).

No comments: