Monday, February 16, 2009

1999 Chateau La Roque Pic-St.-Loup Cupa Numismae

Similar to the many Rhones I've had lately was this wine from the Languedoc. Chateau La Roque's regular Pic-St-Loup was one of the first wines I had as I got into wine, and I purchased this bottle of their higher end cuvee in Avignon in 2001. It was one of my first bottles for the cellar, so it was pretty special to me for that (though it can be found in the US now - I've got some later vintages too).

The 1999 Chateau La Roque Cupa Numismae was really quite a good bottle. I was wondering how it would have aged, but to me it was really peaking. There was plenty of fruit, but it was mellowed and aged, not in your face. There is a large component of Mourvedre in the wine, which is what really gives this wine the stuffing to age for a while. The wine had a nice long finish, and was just an overall pleasure to drink. Even on the second night, the wine hadn't lost much.

If you can find this wine in the most recent vintages, I'd certainly recommend it - for probably still in the $20-$30 range, it can definitely age for several years and will provide some great drinking down the road. I look forward to trying my later vintages over the next few years.

No comments: