Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Italian standbys from the 2004 vintage

I've recently once again had two of my favorite Italians from the 2004 vintage, one from the North and one from the South. From the North comes the Allegrini Palazzo della Torre. As I've noted, this IGT offers plenty of drinking pleasure for under $20, and is really a great food wine. I'll add here that I found the 2005 vintage on a local shelf for the first time this weekend, so I will soon be moving to reviews of that vintage (I did taste it at Vinitaly last April).

Next up was the Feudi di San Gregorio Rubrato. Once again, I've written previously about how this Aglianico is an elegant wine that many people would be surprised to find from the region of Campania. I think it is really a great example of what is possible throughout Italy, and is another great value at about $16. That, and every bottle takes me back to Amalfi where I first tried it.

No comments: