Sunday, February 15, 2009

Another pair of Rhones

Rhone wines have been in very heavy rotation for me lately, as they seem to go great with many of my hearty winter meal choices. First up was the 2006 Domaine La Garrigue Cotes du Rhone, which I have noted previously. The wine was consistent with the last bottle, offering a bit of the typical cherry flavor of Grenache, and just a hint of the rustic terroir of the Southern Rhone area where this winery is located.

Next up was the 2005 Clos de Sixte Lirac. This wine is made by Alain Jaume, who is known more for his wines from Domaine Grand Veneur which I have noted in prior posts. I have become a fan of Lirac, and wish there were more producers from this smaller appelation. To me, it combines a lot of characteristics of the Northern Rhone with those of its true Southern Rhone locale.

This wine was a blend of 50% Grenache, 35% Syrah, and 15% Mourvedre, and quite full-bodied. It was also very young still, not fully opening up even on the second night. The Syrah certainly was providing the darker color and a lot of the body that made me think Northern Rhone, but there was the grip of the Mourvedre and hints of the Grenache's dynamic fruit. I've got another bottle of this that I have laid down, so I will be interested to see how it develops over the next few years.

No comments: