Wednesday, February 4, 2009

2005 Paul Autard Chateauneuf du Pape

Normally, I'm not going to open a Chateauneuf du Pape on a random Friday night, especially not such a young one, but I found this wine on special for $24.99 so it seemed like a good idea to try. I already purchased a second bottle too, so I'll get to see how it ages as well.

The 2005 Paul Autard Chateauneuf du Pape isn't a blockbuster, and it's definitely young right now, but there is some potential there. The wine was a bit tight, but there was some nice earthiness and spice that made it enjoyable, especially with a nice steak. On the second night, the wine offered even more flavor, certainly showing that it needs a few years before it will be at its best. I have another bottle, and if there is still more available at the price, wouldn't hesitate to get more to stash away.

No comments: